CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
A site for teachers to share creative ways to use technology in the classroom

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Behavioral Learning and Instructional Strategies

Instructional strategies in the classroom should mandate and reflect the learning styles of students.  Furthermore, behaviorism offers a defined perspective on how learning occurs and how teaching impacts that process.  Orey (Laureate Education, 2010) states that reinforcement of the correct behaviors is more powerful than punishment.  What does this mean for a 21st Century Classroom teacher?  An interesting read, excerpt - Reinforcing Effort from the book Using Technology in the Classroom, discussed the importance of having students to recognize effort and through this strategy, students’ attitudes and beliefs about learning can be changed.  For example, a struggling Math student may tell the teacher “I do not like Math because I am not good at it.”  Moreover, a student’s background or home life can play a factor in less effort.  However, with high stakes testing, students need to achieve topics and units of study.  . According to the authors of the book,  research indicates that students can change their beliefs and make a connection between effort and achievement (Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K., 2007)  .  One way to enforce effort is through an effort rubric, kind of a like a self-assessment and reflection about effort put into the topic.  Spreadsheets can also be created as a visual tool to help the student recognize shortcomings or advancements and mindset changes.  Another idea would be to survey the students before the unit to see how they view the topic of study.  After the unit, give them the same survey to let them see the difference in their thinking. As an educator in my master’s class, I am required to reflect before the class, during the middle of the class, and at the end.  This strategy has definitely worked for me! 

When a teacher hears the words “homework and practice”, reinforcement of skills is most likely what comes to mind.  When a parent hears “homework and practice”, sometimes, it is an unsettling feeling.  Busy work or frustration often results.  Parents and students should know that homework should not be extra work, but an extension of the classroom.  One great advantage that students have today is technology.  There are many sites available to help students with practice in all subjects.  On my teacher web, I have several sites listed for student help.  I also have enrichment type projects.  Some of my parents want their children doing more at home with academic help and they do not have the resources or ideas to implement and foster this yearning to learn more.  Through my teacher webpage, students have opportunities to advance knowledge through webquests, projects, technology journey’s and explorations.  

Reference:
Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction  that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010). Behaviorist Learning Theory. [ Webcast]. Bridging

Learning Theory, Instruction, and Technology. Baltimore MD: Author.


2 comments:

  1. Johna, When I read your comment about the unsettling feelings connected with homework, I thought it might be a good idea to post for parents why the brain needs repetitive practice. Even though I start the year by explaining to both students and parents that homework in my class is rereading their notes, I still get comments like "Why don't you assign homework?" Perhaps a reminder posted on my class page would be helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally have mixed feelings about homework. First of all, I do not give grades for homework because it is not fair to the student that does not have help at home as compared to the student that has parental support. Second, as a teacher, homework can be frustrating because there is always that handful of students that consistently refuses to complete homework and it can be a burden to deal with how to reward those that complete the homework and those that do not. On the other hand, I am not one of those teachers that assign hours of homework each night. I generally assign 5-10 Math problems and 20 minutes of Reading. No homework except Reading on Wednesday night (church). Math is a subject that must be reviewed and reinforced, which is what homework should be. Again, it is a frustrating subject. I can prove one thing, the students in my room that complete their homework assignments do not struggle with the test. I give spiral Math quizzes each Friday to keep the Math fresh in their minds. The students in my room that read each night, have higher fluency and comprehension grades than those that refuse to read, unless I make them during my class under my eyes.

    ReplyDelete